[Development] Policy: supplying the preferred format for modifications for everything we ship

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Sep 29 21:56:15 CEST 2013

>From the Minified javascript thread, I propose this policy:

The Qt Project will always supply in its own infrastructure the preferred
sources for modification for whatever we ship. Under the GPL and LGPL,  anyone
who receives our sources and wishes to redistribute is required to do that
anyway. Whether the same sources are present in our regular tarballs or not,
it should be judged on a case-by-case basis.

For most of our own content, that is easy: we've been doing that since time
immemorial.

For any third-party content, we need to have the correct scripts to recreate
the files.

Examples:

Qt binary releases		=> source tarballs
Qt Documentation		=> source tarballs
pre-generated lexers and parsers => source files (.g, .l, .y)
Images					=> original, high-resolution or vector images
Minified JS scripts		=> original, un-minified scripts
gnuwin32 binaries		=> gnuwin32 source tarballs