[Development] Fwd: [graphics] SG13 Chicago Meeting Minutes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Sep 29 22:05:22 CEST 2013

On domingo, 29 de setembro de 2013 15:56:10, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Thiago Macieira
>
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > Is there anyone who would be willing to offer our expertise in QWindow,
> > QOpenGLContext, QBackingStore, QPainter, etc.?
>
> "Don't do it". Don't get me wrong, I love the sky's the limit attitude
> ("simple and accessible to beginners, but also usable to experts as
> well (avoid glass ceiling if possible)"), which seems to be completely
> devoid of any realistic knowledge of how this stuff actually works,
> but this isn't going to amount to anything but a toy api.

Hi Zack

I agree with you there, I don't see much future in this. But in the interest
of giving the project the benefit of the doubt and in order to prove our
claims, we need to go along with it. That is, the only way to show the
committee that it can't work is to try and make it work (and then failing).

> hat example that was shown in the
> "One C++" keynote is a great example: one vb uploaded on every frame -
> so easy! Yes, and so terrible. I cringe every time anyone says that
> they want to write an immediate mode graphics library.

> From graphics
> perspective QML on top of scene-graph is pretty much as good as it
> gets for graphics apps - simple, yet, exposing full power of the
> underlying api (OpenGL).

That's the kind of feedback I'm expecting.