[Development] Policy: supplying the preferred format for modifications for everything we ship

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Mon Sep 30 08:36:50 CEST 2013

On Sunday 29 September 2013 22:26:41 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> As we do not modify those files, but take them from upstream, having a
> README that say where the file are from is enough.
> I don't see why it should be part of the tarball. (and especially they
> should not be in the git repositories)

The "problem" is that (L)GPL requires to offer the _exact_ _same_ sources that
were used to build the binary (or intermediate source). Just pointing to a URL
usually gives the user access to the _current_ upstream sources - speaking as
a user: it is no fun trying to compile (legacy) stuff for hours only to find
out that one of the first support libraries was an incompatible version and
not the one I needed.

In short: providing the tarballs of the _exact_ upstream sources that were
used along the Qt tarballs is the easiest way of ensuring we fulfill our
obligations under (L)GPL and making sure users have what they need.

	Konrad