[Development] HEADS UP: Qt 5.3.0 - merge stable into release

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Thu Apr 3 10:03:17 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 03/04/14 09:53, "Sergio Ahumada" <sahumada at blackberry.com> wrote:

>On 03.04.2014 09:42, Heikkinen Jani wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are about to start the "Qt 5.3.0" release as agreed in [1], which
>> means that:
>>
>> - We plan to do a fast-forward merge from 'stable' into 'release' branch
>> on April 10th.
>
>Hi,
>
>I think I got lost somewhere. I thought we were going to create a 5.3.0
>branch instead of merging stable->release [1].

The decision has been to implement the new scheme after we have 5.3.0 out.
So 5.3.0 is still being done with the existing scheme, and we should then
create the new branch names after we have released 5.3.0.

So directly after the release, I’d say we switch over and rename stable to
5.3, and create the correct branches for older versions as well.

>Also, could somebody clarify how the new branching scheme would look like
>?
>
>Maybe drafting something on top of
>http://qt-project.org/wiki/Branch-Guidelines ?

Yes, that needs updating.

>It seems to me that there is a decision about going to the 5.x.y
>branching scheme, but it is not clear how/when this will be implemented.

Let’s do this directly after we have 5.3.0 out. It’s going to require a
bit of work, as we will have to retarget some patches from stable to 5.3.
We can get around most of that by creating 5.3 from stable, and then merge
stable into 5.3 again after a week or two before we close it.

The older 5.x branches should be created from the known tags on stable as
well at that point in time to make things consistent. 5.3.1 would then get
released using the new branching scheme.

Cheers,
Lars