[Development] Question about Qt's future

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 21 04:53:30 CEST 2014

Em dom 20 abr 2014, às 22:37:11, md at rpzdesign.com escreveu:
> With Qt 5.3.0 release just around the corner, will Qt Widgets be able to
> run stable on IOS and ANdroid?

They run. They just look horrible.

> Many comments I have seen on this list refers to Qt Widgets as a desktop
> oriented toolkit, but I ran Qt Widgets in
> test on Qt 5.2.1 IOS/Android and they seemed to work.
>
> What is the design pattern/architecture that QML provides that renders
> Qt Widgets obsolete?

Modern architecture, OpenGL acceleration & shaders support, animations, pixel-
perfect layout if you know the exact screen size.

> Isn't Qt Widgets so mature that they are stable?

They are.

> Will Qt Widgets / Qpainter be so inefficient on IOS/Android that only
> using QML with screengraph/opengl
> is the available choice.

It's not the only available choice. Widgets are available. They just look
horrible because no one has done any work to make them look native.

> The case has not been made either for or against QML and their use cases
> not well documented
> with respect to the amount of focus on QML and the reasons for that
> design direction.

The design direction is because QML is easier to develop with, more modern,
and based on OpenGL. Widgets don't have that and will never be as efficient.
Therefore, the effort is directed towards the technology that has the potential
to make interfaces for 2017-2020.

> Look forward to the Monday discussion threads....

Tuesday. Monday is still a day off in both Finland and Norway.