[Development] Qt binaries with inlined functions

Dimitar Dobrev dpldobrev at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 14:37:40 CEST 2014

I think it depends on whether you see bindings as a single case or as multiple cases (one per binding). About other, let's say, types of projects - I am not aware.

About an option - do you mean an option in the, say, online installer? If it's a compile option, I'm afraid you might as well not bother because it won't work for me. My problem (and, I'd say, any binding developer's) is that I can't tell users "my binding is great, you just need to compile Qt yourselves because the binary downloads don't work well enough" - nobody's going to use it.

Regards,
Dimitar

On Monday, April 28, 2014 3:29 PM, Koehne Kai <Kai.Koehne at digia.com> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks, that takes me one step further - linking Qt5Gui fails next. Anyhow, Qt5Core succeeded:

Size of libQt5Core.so.5.3.0 without patch:5.9M
Size of libQt5Core.so.5.3.0 with patch: 9.3M

That's quite a big change! The number of exported symbols (nm -D) for Qt5Core raises from 5440 to 6162.

So, just based on this I'd say we shouldn't do this 'just in case'. Would a configure option suffice? Do any other use cases / projects benefit from this?

Regards

Kai