[Development] Perceptions/Understandings of the QML language [was: Question about Qt's future]

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Tue Apr 29 10:00:11 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 29. April 2014 07.17.14 Koehne Kai wrote:
> [...]

I agree.

For example I decide to invest time into doing something in Qt if for example
I had an idea myself and I'm excited about it.

If somebody else wants me to fix a bug, then my motivation for sitting down and
spending a day or two digging deep into the code base to fix that bug is pride
and to some extend guilt: I want our users to enjoy using Qt and if I succeed
in relating to the feeling of that user (based on a high quality bug report
for example), then I'm compelled to fix it.

If somebody else wants me to do something bigger that just a bug fix, then they
need to inspire me. If they don't want to do all the work on their own, then
they need to create excitement around their idea - they need to lead. In the
Qt project - and many other open source projects naturally - the ability to
inspire others is crucial in order to move things forward.

Unfortunately a substantial amount of emails in this particular email thread
do not exactly inspire me. Hence I'm less inclined to contribute.

My suggestion is: If you'd like to change Qt in big ways, prepare yourself and
your idea, come to the contributor summit, invite people to a discussion and
create a movement. Excitement and inspiration is much better to get across in
person, when you can see their face, their hands, their gestures and their
smile.

> On to the topic: QML is what the QML parser accepts (that is, JSON like
> declarative syntax + JavaScript in certain places). No, there's no standard
> document for it (in case that's what you're after), but it has a
> well-defined grammar etc. Christian Kamm AFAIR planned a long time ago to
> add the grammar to the documentation, but I think that never was finished.
>
> And, as always, the documentation can be improved ;)
>
> The discussion so far was whether it makes sense to give the 'declarative'
> part alone a separate name (something we haven't done so far). I personally
> agree with Alan that it doesn't make much sense as long as the two parts
> are technically and practically inseparable. But I'm personally all for an
> experiment to come up with a more strict, declarative QML subset.

I also like the idea of such an experiment. The fact we parse QML only once
and have full control over the JS code generation should make it much easier
nowadays to achieve this while preserving semantics at the same time.

(Kai's approach is an example of something that inspires me :)

Simon