[Development] No SSL on iOS ?

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at digia.com
Tue Apr 29 13:13:13 CEST 2014

On 29 Apr 2014, at 00:39, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> Em ter 29 abr 2014, às 00:16:43, Jeremy Lainé escreveu:
>> On 04/28/2014 11:44 AM, Nichols Andy wrote:
>>> It is possible still in the packaged versions of Qt for iOS to make
>>> connections using SSL via QNetworkAccessManager as there is a backend
>>> that uses Apples crypto API, but without OpenSSL support you can’t use
>>> any of the API’s in Qt that use OpenSSL directly (like QSSLSocket).
>> Ouch I just realised that most likely means QWebSocket on iOS does not
>> support secure websockets!
>>
>> What would the best course of action be to add support for secure websockets
>> on iOS?
>
> Probably to add a new QSslSocket backend that uses the Apple API.

QSSLSocket/QSslCertificate/QSslCipher is a relatively large API - make sure you are aware of the scope of the project and remember you have to maintain it :)

Another option is to skip QSslSocket and implement a direct backend for QWebSocket using a native API, for example the SocketRocket project.

I used this approach to implement an iOS backend for the QNAM rest API (using NSurlConnection).

Morten