[Development] Qt binaries with inlined functions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Apr 29 21:33:45 CEST 2014

Em ter 29 abr 2014, às 08:06:37, Thiago Macieira escreveu:
> Em ter 29 abr 2014, às 04:45:37, Dimitar Dobrev escreveu:
> > Allan, I'm not talking about a custom build at all. This whole discussion
> > started is about how to avoid one. The results you see I've obtained from
> > the Qt 5.2.1 MinGW binaries as downloaded from qt-project.org.
>
> There won't be a change to the way we build. We're already doing it the
> right way.

Here's also why we can't use -fkeep-inline-functions:

$ cat main.cpp
#include <utility>
#include <algorithm>
#include <vector>

$ g++ -O3 -S -o - main.cpp
        .file   ""
        .ident  "GCC: (SUSE Linux) 4.8.1 20130909 [gcc-4_8-branch revision
202388]"
        .section        .note.GNU-stack,"", at progbits

$ g++ -O3 -fkeep-inline-functions -S -o - main.cpp | wc -l
2086

This would keep every single, minor and helper inline function from the
Standard Library. We can't do that.

On Windows, however, we could use the -fkeep-inline-dllexport, which would
make GCC match MSVC behaviour, at the cost of bloating the libraries with code
that is never called. I'd rather we didn't do it.