[Development] Qt binaries with inlined functions

Dimitar Dobrev dpldobrev at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 22:34:11 CEST 2014

Thiago, thank you very much for these explanations. About that option, it only works on Windows so it's no good either way.

About generating wrappers for inlines, if you know of a tool that can do that - as I mentioned earlier - it would be of great help to me.

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:33 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

Em ter 29 abr 2014, às 08:06:37, Thiago Macieira escreveu:
> Em ter 29 abr 2014, às 04:45:37, Dimitar Dobrev escreveu:
> > Allan, I'm not talking about a custom build at all. This whole discussion
> > started is about how to avoid one. The results you see I've obtained from
> > the Qt 5.2.1 MinGW binaries as downloaded from qt-project.org.
>
> There won't be a change to the way we build. We're already doing it the
> right way.

Here's also why we can't use -fkeep-inline-functions:

$ cat main.cpp
#include <utility>
#include <algorithm>
#include <vector>

$ g++ -O3 -S -o - main.cpp
        .file   ""
        .ident  "GCC: (SUSE Linux) 4.8.1 20130909 [gcc-4_8-branch revision
202388]"
        .section        .note.GNU-stack,"", at progbits

$ g++ -O3 -fkeep-inline-functions -S -o - main.cpp | wc -l
2086

This would keep every single, minor and helper inline function from the
Standard Library. We can't do that.

On Windows, however, we could use the -fkeep-inline-dllexport, which would
make GCC match MSVC behaviour, at the cost of bloating the libraries with code
that is never called. I'd rather we didn't do it.