[Development] Qt 4.x and Qt 5 frameworks should use @rpath (QTBUG-31814)

Jake Petroules jake.petroules at petroules.com
Sat Aug 9 10:59:57 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-08, at 07:52 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On Friday 08 August 2014 15:22:44 Jake Petroules wrote:
>> In qmake, can you explain why we can't use:
>> QCoreApplication::applicationFilePath() + "/../bin", etc.?
>
> Because that might be completely different on other machines. The prefix to the
> bin directory is a user choice on configuring, just as any other paths.

Can't we place a textual configuration file somewhere alongside qmake? This would be preferable to binary patching. If file is missing, determine paths automatically (which should work fine for OS X).

> And besides, applicationFilePath() may fail on some systems.

Systems people actually use + Qt supports or "some systems" in the academic sense? Examples?

> In any case, qmake is not tool deployed by the user. No one will care if it
> gets patched on installation.

We want Qt for OS X / iOS SDKs to be relocatable (drag n drop). Therefore, we do care about patching on installation because we want to eliminate this step entirely.

(BTW, how does this part work on Windows? There's no sonames to patch but do paths in qmake.exe get rewritten?)