[Development] [Releasing] HEADS UP: Qt 5.4 feature freeze - branch created

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Mon Aug 11 00:09:59 CEST 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 05:26:12PM -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2014 19:55:44 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 02:10:52PM -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > Because it changed compared to previous times. It's irrelevant that the
> > > previous times required such an action for technical reasons: it happened
> > > that way. Now it happened differently.
> >
> > that's a fact. but given that no specific problems with doing it
> > "the new way" were brought up, it's a rather useless observation.
>
> You're missing the obvious: there was a change and people were not ready for
> it.

that's hardly an argument, given that everybody who paid any attention
at all knew that it would be *somehow* quite different (due to the
different branching model).

> > > You did block dev by introducing a broken change
> >
> > you are entirely missing the point. you (or anybody else) was not
> > supposed to stage anything on dev. if not for that mistake, you would
> > have created a royal mess in the branches with to your uncoordinated
> > intervention.
>
> Which, again, is a change from previous procedure. In past times, as a member
> of the release team, I had the right to stage things past the feature freeze,
> to get things integrated that failed due to unrelated CI failures and commits
> that were granted exception from the freeze.

i'll remind you that you did this *after* i explicitly told you not to
"help" without prior coordination with me. there is a line between
"being taken by surprise" and "being kinda obstinate".

> I can't get the CI to tell me if there's anything wrong. Even if I
> stage now (which I have done), it will run on Monday morning, at a
> time at which I'll be busy packing. I'll get home in Portland on
> Tuesday evening UTC, close to midnight Wednesday. That'll be my first
> chance to see if any of my integrations failed due to CI issues.

and why would any of that be bad? it's not like anything is on fire. you
can do other things in the mean time, which you totally do have enough
to choose from.