[Development] [Releasing] HEADS UP: Qt 5.4 feature freeze - branch created

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Aug 11 03:10:56 CEST 2014

On Monday 11 August 2014 00:09:59 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > You're missing the obvious: there was a change and people were not ready
> > for it.
>
> that's hardly an argument, given that everybody who paid any attention
> at all knew that it would be *somehow* quite different (due to the
> different branching model).

That's the entire argument. You can't dismiss it. Of course it would be
different, but without communication explaining how it would happen, everyone
assumed it would be close to the previous procedures.

But let's move on. What's done is done and we've learnt the lesson:
communication.

> > Which, again, is a change from previous procedure. In past times, as a
> > member of the release team, I had the right to stage things past the
> > feature freeze, to get things integrated that failed due to unrelated CI
> > failures and commits that were granted exception from the freeze.
>
> i'll remind you that you did this *after* i explicitly told you not to
> "help" without prior coordination with me. there is a line between
> "being taken by surprise" and "being kinda obstinate".

I did ping you on IRC for coordination. Since you didn't reply, I proceeded
according to previous rules. (No, it was not after midnight in your timezone)

> > I can't get the CI to tell me if there's anything wrong. Even if I
> > stage now (which I have done), it will run on Monday morning, at a
> > time at which I'll be busy packing. I'll get home in Portland on
> > Tuesday evening UTC, close to midnight Wednesday. That'll be my first
> > chance to see if any of my integrations failed due to CI issues.
>
> and why would any of that be bad? it's not like anything is on fire. you
> can do other things in the mean time, which you totally do have enough
> to choose from.

It's time lost. Right now, I am 5 hours behind Central European timezone and I
have some 8-9 hours of overlap with possible reviewers. Once I get back home,
the overlap reduces to 5-6 hours, minus the time I have to spend doing the
rest of $DAYJOB. That means I'll have about 4-6 hours for Qt throughout the
rest of this week.