[Development] Wayland app_id

Pier Luigi pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 20:15:57 CEST 2014

Hi,

I was reading xdg-shell, a Wayland protocol that's been in development
for some time now and it's going to replace wl_shell_surface.

For who doesn't know Wayland, basically this is a protocol that
introduces more high level concepts over plain surfaces such as
popups, minimize, maximize, etc...

xdg-shell has the concept of app_id from the desktop entry specification.
This is more or less the desktop file path relative to $XDG_DATA_DIR
with slashes replaced by dashes.

This used to be the class in wl_shell_surface and I know the concept
exists on X11 as well (WMCLASS if I recall).

Now the question is: how can Qt applications set this app_id?

Since app_id should be the same for all xdg surfaces I would propose
adding an applicationIdentifier property to QGuiApplication.

Thoughts?

--
Out of the box experience
http://www.maui-project.org/