[Development] Wayland app_id

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Thu Aug 14 22:30:38 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Pier Luigi <pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Now the question is: how can Qt applications set this app_id?
>>>
>>> Since app_id should be the same for all xdg surfaces I would propose
>>> adding an applicationIdentifier property to QGuiApplication.
>>
>> Why do they have to? Just like WM_CLASS is an internal detail to the
>> xcb plugin, I'd imagine that this would be an internal detail in
>> QtWayland.
>
> At a first and quick glance qxcb sets it to
> QCoreApplication::applicationName() which is way too verbose and not
> the desktop entry name, or argv[0] base name which is basically what I
> did with qtwayland but this doesn't feel right.
> This doesn't feel right because the desktop entry name might be
> different than the executable name hence my desire for something that
> would allow the application to specify it.

It kind of has to be enough, though, because you won't always get
launched from a desktop file (there's D-Bus activation, or plain old
exec, shell launching, etc). And what if the property just isn't set?

I don't think a new property is a good idea, both because it seems
incredibly limited in the scope of its usefulness (I don't see how
it's applicable in a cross platform way, and I don't even know how
you'd begin to document something this limited in usefulness) and
because they simply won't set it (partly due to it being a new
property, and partly because of the previous problem).

But yeah, you're running into the age old chestnut of a problem that
has haunted the fine folks at Jolla for a while: how to associate a
desktop file with a process. We never really came up with a good
answer there (at least not a generic one.)

Maybe someone else has a smart idea, let's see.