[Development] Wayland app_id

Pier Luigi pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:52:41 CEST 2014

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Pier Luigi <pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This used to be the class in wl_shell_surface and I know the concept
>> exists on X11 as well (WMCLASS if I recall).
>
> WM_CLASS I think, but don't quote me, it's been a long, long time
> since I've looked into anything X11 related.

Ah yes WM_CLASS, it's been a long time.

> ... a quick grep+read on qtbase seems to support this theory.
>
>> Now the question is: how can Qt applications set this app_id?
>>
>> Since app_id should be the same for all xdg surfaces I would propose
>> adding an applicationIdentifier property to QGuiApplication.
>
> Why do they have to? Just like WM_CLASS is an internal detail to the
> xcb plugin, I'd imagine that this would be an internal detail in
> QtWayland.

At a first and quick glance qxcb sets it to
QCoreApplication::applicationName() which is way too verbose and not
the desktop entry name, or argv[0] base name which is basically what I
did with qtwayland but this doesn't feel right.
This doesn't feel right because the desktop entry name might be
different than the executable name hence my desire for something that
would allow the application to specify it.

There's QPlatformNativeInterface::setWindowProperty() but this
requires applications to set app_id on each window every time but
app_id is really tied to the application.
Also it should be somehow documented, otherwise developers wouldn't
know about it.

Maybe QPlatformNativeInterface could have application wide properties too?

--
Out of the box experience
http://www.maui-project.org/