[Development] Looking for a way to batch-upload independent changes to Gerrit

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Aug 18 15:23:25 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I have several times come across the problem that I hack away and end up with
a chain of 20 or so commits, most of which are completely independent of each
other. If I push gerrit HEAD:refs/for/X, I can upload all of them in one go,
but they will be shown in the Gerrit UI as depending on each other.

If I had the right to upload merges, even for just deleting them afterwards, I
would take all of these changes, rebase them onto gerrit/X, and do one octopus
merge over the lot of them, then push gerrit that_merge:refs/for/X and abandon
the change that corresponds to that_merge as an artifact.

Other than writing a script to iterate over the parents of that_merge and push
gerrit parent:refs/for/X each one separately, which takes a long time because
of the SSH key negotiation, is there a way to do this in one git push command?

Thanks,
Marc

--
Qt Developer Days 2014 - October 6 - 8 at BCC, Berlin