[Development] Updating the licence policy for Qt Project

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Aug 22 15:40:06 CEST 2014

On Friday 22 August 2014 07:21:38 Knoll Lars wrote:
> With this in mind I would like to now formally adopt and embrace these
> changes to how Digia will release Qt as changes to the licensing policy
> within the Qt Project as well. There are basically three changes:
>
> 1. Modules that are part of Qt 5.3 are now licensed under LGPLv2.1, LGPLv3
> and commercial
> 2. New modules that get added to Qt Project from now on can be licensed
> either under
>     * LGPLv2.1, LGPLv3 and commercial or
>     * LGPLv3, GPLv2 and commercial
>     * LGPLv3 and commercial

Hi Lars

Thanks for posting this.

My opinion on #1 is of full support: I don't see any drawbacks. We're getting
new rights we didn't have before, without removing any freedoms we did or
adding any restrictions we didn't have before.

My opinion on #2 is that of support despite a potential drawback: with the
creation of repositories that don't have the LGPLv2.1, some existing or
potential future users will be unable or unwilling to use the new
functionality. It's hard to judge, though, since they clearly aren't using
such functionality right now. But overall, my opinion is that the benefits of
having such new modules at all far outweigh those potential drawbacks, not to
mention that I believe in strong copyleft practices.