[Development] Updating the licence policy for Qt Project

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Wed Aug 27 15:55:37 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 07:21:38AM +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:
> 2. New modules that get added to Qt Project from now on can be licensed
> either under

for simplicity, i would suggest qt-project states preferences for
specific options:

>     * LGPLv2.1, LGPLv3 and commercial or

of course lgpl2 still makes sense for add-ons hosted outside qt-project,
and ones where the author explicitly doesn't want digia to make money
from selling this module (though in this case i wouldn't host on
qt-project to start with).

i don't suppose many people would object if we officially discourage this
option ...

>     * LGPLv3, GPLv2 and commercial

strongly encouraged, for the reasons given by digia.

>     * LGPLv3 and commercial

is this really a good idea at this point? the intention would be to
prevent fully open-source (gpl2) applications that still cannot be
swapped out by the user (e.g., by requiring signing with particular
proprietary keys), which is good as such. but with qt's long history,
there are now many gpl2-only applications which cannot be relicensed any
more, so they won't be ever able to use these new modules. it's a
trade-off that needs to be pointed out.