[Development] Does Qt support customed web browser with self-defined Internet protocols?

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Tue Aug 26 09:29:41 CEST 2014

On Aug 26, 2014, at 4:02 AM, quinn.wj.xie <quinn.wj.xie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, everyone at development at qt-project
>
> I have a question and want some suggestions. Right now I am learning Qt programming. And I was wondering if Qt supports a customed web browser. Because our lab is working on a new Internet protocol and the teacher asks me to test if a browser can analyze it. So I have to make a new browser all by myself and make sure it works with this new protocol instead of TCP/IP. Since I am a green hand on Qt, I don't know whether this can work out.
> Would you mind giving me some advice on this project?

As far as I understand it, you can implement your own way for retrieving data from anywhere with QtWebKit, through implementing your own QNetworkAccessManager. We do that e.g. for the help viewer in Qt Creator, which retrieves data from a help database instead.

You can probably just start with the “simple browser example” in Qt, which already implements a minimal browser, and also already provides its own network access manager, which you can modify to suit your purposes.

https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtwebkit-examples/source/5.3:examples/webkitwidgets/browser

Br, Eike