[Development] Guidance Needed for Building Camera Backend

Alex Babut hababut at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 20:21:37 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I'm looking for guidance to get started with writing a camera backend for
Point Grey machine vision cameras. It's a popular series of cameras with a
custom API. I've seen a number of people asking how it can be used through
the Multimedia framework.

My day job involves producing an application that will perform real time
image processing on frames obtained from these cameras in addition to a
host of standard functionality: save videos, capture stills, display at a
variety of resolutions and frame rates with drawn overlays.

The QNX camera backend looks like a very thorough example. I'd like to use
it as a model. However, I need to start with basic functionality and work
my way up. The documentation is sketchy about how to build a back end and
there aren't any mailing list posts.

I'd appreciate some guidance to get me started. Of course, I'll be happy to
contribute the entire back-end back to Qt.

Many thanks,

Alex