[Development] Do QtQuick.Layouts depend on QtQuick.Controls?

Nurmi J-P jpnurmi at theqtcompany.com
Wed Dec 10 11:26:10 CET 2014

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 10:47, Dmitry Volosnykh <dmitry.volosnykh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your clarification, guys.
>
> Saether, I have noticed that almost everywhere in documentation these
> modules are referred together, That is what was leading me to a
> premature conclusion about dependency. So, it happens to be some kind
> of semantic dependency, not binary/linker one.

It was a conscious choice to develop these higher level qtquick-based modules aka controls, layouts and dialogs together under the "qtquickcontrols" umbrella.

> Any clues on what configs/files should be changed to make
> qtquickcontrols repo be built along the main one? Do mkspecs files
> rule some sort of definition whether some repos should be built for a
> given platform or not?

There are no platform specific rules of any sort involved. I'm guessing the "main repo" refers to the qt5 meta repo. For that, the rules are simple:

By the time you run configure in the qt5 meta repo, any module that a) exists, b) is not explicitly -skipped, and c) whose dependencies are met, is configured to be built. The single obligatory dependency for qtquickcontrols is qtdeclarative, which in turn requires qtbase at the very least.

If you add a module after you've already configured the qt5 meta repo, you can update the top level makefile eg. by running 'make qmake'. Or alternatively you can switch to the directory that you want to build, say qtquickcontrols/src/layouts, and run qmake & make there.

> Personally, it seems to me that having Layouts module available by
> default would be nice even on platforms where Controls module is
> unwanted. I understand that it contradicts the motivation for putting
> them alongside. Could someone provide any references, if any, to the
> related discussion leading to such decision? Just want to know the
> details...

I'm afraid there's no better way than running make (install) in qtquickcontrols/src/layouts.

--
J-P Nurmi