[Development] Proposal: "rebranding" QMF as QtMail

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 01:41:27 CET 2014

On 16 February 2014 03:06, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Robin Burchell <robin+qt at viroteck.net> wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> After some build system reworking recently and a little discussion
>> amongst the interested parties (Matt Vogt, Valerio), I'd like to
>> propose renaming QMF (Qt Messaging Framework) to QtMail with the
>> longer term goal of making it a module of Qt properly - no longer a
>> labs project.
>>
>> QMF's naming is historical: QMF originally handled other types of
>> messages than purely mail (SMS/MMS also, for instance). This has not
>> been the case for quite some time - QMF now handles *only* email, so
>> this renaming makes the whole thing sound a bit less meta and less
>> awkward.
>>
>> The repository is currently comprised of two main libraries:
>> QmfMessageServer and QmfClient. I would propose:
>>
>> QmfClient => QtMail
>> QmfMessageServer => QtMessageServer
>>
>> Classes in QMF are already using the QMail* prefix.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> +1

+1 for renaming, to avoid confusion (people might mistake them for
"QML Client" or "QML Message Server")

To make the relationship between the 2 libraries more obvious, I'd
give them similar names (e.g. "QtEmailClient" and "QtEmailServer").

How big are the libraries? If they're small, what do you think of
merging them into one library?

Regards,
Sze-Howe