[Development] Proposal: "rebranding" QMF as QtMail

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Mon Feb 17 12:30:37 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM, Sze Howe Koh <szehowe.koh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The repository is currently comprised of two main libraries:
>>> QmfMessageServer and QmfClient. I would propose:
>>>
>>> QmfClient => QtMail
>>> QmfMessageServer => QtMessageServer
>>>
>>> Classes in QMF are already using the QMail* prefix.
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>
>> +1
>
> +1 for renaming, to avoid confusion (people might mistake them for
> "QML Client" or "QML Message Server")
>
> To make the relationship between the 2 libraries more obvious, I'd
> give them similar names (e.g. "QtEmailClient" and "QtEmailServer").

I was kind of deliberately avoiding the "Email" name due to awkward
capitalisation, I also think that "Mail" is sufficiently clear in an
IT context. I wouldn't expect to find a Qt API for postal mail, after
all. :-)

You're right that it should probably be QtMailMessageServer, though.

> How big are the libraries? If they're small, what do you think of
> merging them into one library?

I think there is value in keeping them split. The message server
library is something that I personally think of as more of an
implementation detail. It's used to implement plugins for the
messageserver binary, not mail client tools. That's rather a limited
goal/audience compared to the main library.

BR,
Robin