[Development] Shameful Support of Server/Client DataBase in Qt

Richard Gerd Kuesters richard at humantech.com.br
Sun Feb 23 16:04:59 CET 2014

hello Sarkawt!

first or all, sorry for my english. before i agree
or disagree with you - or even judge qt for it's "lack of database
features", it's best first to evaluate how database connectors are in
the lower level. first (and above all), they do not have a "unified
reference guide" for their APIs, which creates a nightmare for any
developer to map everything -- you can see the efforts of mike bayer
with python's sqlalchemy on doing that (and it's based on top of other
OOP layers built on top of those connectors). the solution would be
using odbc (which is a well documented database interface), but it have
its costs (and not anyone's choice between the native or it).

therefore, we all should think on the goal of qt in the last years:
support as many platforms as possible for users to provide applications.
it does have it's costs, too. being qt a cpp framework, map and use c
database apis -- and made them universally available in the outcome
future of platforms -- would be quite a challenge. i work with rdbms for
a long time, from the high to the low level and imho this work (if qt
provide) should be a huge effort.

so, qt delivers us a quite nice,
barebone structure for sql and it works (as far as we use it right).
now, the lack of features problem: it is up to us to develop them. there
are a lot of discussion about this with qt, from the "lack" to
benchmarks between solutions - you can see it in this thread:
http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/27438

now, for components ...
you may be right on that, but, with the boom of new OSes and UIs to
support (ios, android, unity 8, windows 8, etc), how in earth would be
possible to think on database integration with so much going on now? i'm
not taking away the credit that it is important, but if i were a
decision maker at digia, i would put this to the future. there's a lot
to do in core before any other feature ramifications ...

that's just
my point of view :) of course, as you, i'm also frustrated about
database features and writing a lot of things on my own because of this.
at least i just have to write it once :)

i don't know if i answered
your question, like i said, it's just my point of view. i might be
wrong, too :)

my best regards,

richard.

Em 2014-02-23 10:57,
Sarkawt Amedi escreveu:

> so far I have developed three wonderful
non-database-applications with Qt.
> Without courtesy Qt is the only
framework able to deliver nearly a full cross-platform, but recently I
decided to play with database using Qt as I never did that previously
and I found that Qt is weak regarding server/client database development
in the following ways:
> 1- tools
> 2- controls/components
> 3- DBMS
parameters support
> 4- database modules update
> 5- database bugs
fixing is poor
> I need some good, compelling reasons and real
information regarding server/client database development, I want to know
why this field is somehow ignored in Qt and has no real attention
towards it although it has a huge market on the planet!
> The big title
of lacking is DBMS features that has to be added.