[Development] Branches and time based releases

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Tue Feb 25 09:02:17 CET 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:11:47 +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:

> So to sum it up, I believe the release model we currently have works
> pretty well, certainly better than anything we have had in the past.

Maybe I'm allowed to throw in the point of view of a user:

last week we had the discussion about which version of Qt to use for a
new project.

What we have seen with Qt5 so far were 5.x.0 releases that were time -
not quality - driven + only few maintenance releases ( 2 for 5.0, 1 for
5.1 and 5.2 ). In the past there have also been less stable versions of
Qt, but more maintenance releases ( f.e 4 for 4.7 and 4.6 ) we could
trust.

So our conclusion was that we have a regression in quality - exactly
because of the time based releases - and to act very conservative with Qt
version updates.

Time based releases might be good for creating more versions in time, but
what is it worth, when users don't follow anymore ?

Uwe

PS: our discussion ended with a decision for Qt 5.1 because of not
trusting all the changes that happened under the hood of Qt 5.2