[Development] Branches and time based releases

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 25 18:45:38 CET 2014

Em ter 25 fev 2014, às 08:02:17, Uwe Rathmann escreveu:
> last week we had the discussion about which version of Qt to use for a
> new project.
>
> What we have seen with Qt5 so far were 5.x.0 releases that were time -
> not quality - driven + only few maintenance releases ( 2 for 5.0, 1 for
> 5.1 and 5.2 ). In the past there have also been less stable versions of
> Qt, but more maintenance releases ( f.e 4 for 4.7 and 4.6 ) we could
> trust.
>
> So our conclusion was that we have a regression in quality - exactly
> because of the time based releases - and to act very conservative with Qt
> version updates.
>
> Time based releases might be good for creating more versions in time, but
> what is it worth, when users don't follow anymore ?

Hi Uwe

That's a very good point you raise.

But I should point out that the amount of work being done to stabilise has not
changed. The only things that have are that those fixes often end up in a
feature release.

The release team discussed yesterday the need for more patch releases. We had
a heated discussion on whether we should do 5.2.2. The conclusion was that we
should, but we can't: we don't have the resources to do it without sacrificing
our long-term objectives to shift the release schedule.

We also briefly discussed the need to have a Long Term Support release with
longer lifetime, but we quickly concluded this is a topic for the Contributor
Summit and it depends a lot on the conclusion of the branching scheme from
this thread.