[Development] Adding 10-bit OpenGL support in QML

Gunnar Sletta gunnar.sletta at jolla.com
Wed Feb 26 08:22:12 CET 2014

On 26 Feb 2014, at 00:42, Kurt Pattyn <pattyn.kurt at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are currently looking into a way to render a 10-bit image in QML.

I'm going to assume we're talking about Qt Quick 2.0.

As in 10-bit grayscale or GL_UNSIGNED_INT_10_10_10_2? In any case, you can create a custom QSGTexture class which defines the format and contents of your texture and display that in the scene graph using a QSGSimpleTextureNode. If something more specific is needed, write your own material to do exactly what you want.

> Our first idea is to create an OpenGL context in C++ and use that in QML.

You cannot create the OpenGL context for QQuickWindow, but you can request the format it should take via QQuickWindow::setFormat().

> QML must be able to overlay text on this 10-bit OpenGL context.
>
> What is the best approach for this? Is it possible at all?
> Can we expose a QGLWidget, or something similar?

QQuickWindow has an QOpenGLContext and does not use QGLWidget.

> Cheers,
>
> Kurt

cheers,
Gunnar