[Development] Removing QT_NO_DEBUG_STREAM?

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 20:34:38 CET 2014

2014/1/6 David Faure <david.faure at kdab.com>

> On Monday 06 January 2014 19:43:45 Konstantin Ritt wrote:
> > I don't like the idea of removing QT_NO_DEBUG_STREAM. Even if Qt itself
> > doesn't build with it (which is fixable), one might define it globally
> > after it built, to avoid building an unnecessary code in his/3rd-party
> > modules.
>
> You don't gain anything by defining it in your app, compared to just not
> calling qDebug.

In my app (or in 3rd-party code), there could be classes with debug stream
operators.

> This isn't the intended usage of QT_NO_* - this was about reducing the
> size of
> Qt.

And this remains desirable for some users.

> But yeah at this point QT_NO_DEBUG_STREAM should just be removed, the
> maintainance pain is not worth it.

Which maintainance pain, exactly?

The typical purpose for debug operators is a convenience, well, in
debugging. But that costs.
That's why many users (and me) uses a cheap qWarning(msg) for warnings and
#ifndef DEBUG_MY_FEATURE \ qdebug() << various << crap; \ #endif for
testing/debugging their code.

I'd vote for fixing build with QT_NO_DEBUG_STREAM rather than for deleting
it.

Konstantin