[Development] Plans for printing in 5.3 onwards

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 23:25:18 CET 2014

John Layt sayeth:

> Hi,
>
> I've spent the last few weeks going over the current print support and
> trying to map out a plan to improve things.  <snip>,

Given my limited time, I've decided to take a different approach to
> try build the new code over the next few releases as a new set of QPA
> classes that are then used by the current public api in place of the
> old plugin code, before later being used for the new public api.<snip>,
>

> <snip, aims for 5.3, 5.4, beyond>

<snip>,  One major sub-task in there
> will be to try upgrade our PDF support to full PDF/A standard which
> may affect the timing.
>
> I have a work branch at [1] which implements the new
> QPlatformPrintDevice api for the 3 platforms and integrates it so far
> into QPrinterInfo and the Linux QPrintEngine.  It also has some new
> classes QPageSize, QPageMargin and QPageLayout to remove lots of
> duplicated and error-prone page and margin handling code.  Once the
> Windows and Mac print engine integration is completed I'll start
> pushing these for review.

*ping*, this email has been sitting in my "inbox", I just wanted to applaud
this effort by John for Qt/PDF enhancements.

Don't let "silence" make you think these changes are not greatly
appreciated and desired!

Thanks for your efforts here.

P.S. If anyone wants this completed sooner, I'd be happy to discuss
> sponsorship to allow me to work on it full-time for the next 6 months
> :-)

That was the delay ... they said "not at the present time".  ;-(

Since they have Executive-Style-Hair, I'm sure there was a good reason from
which I am mercifully spared.

--charley