[Development] Plans for printing in 5.3 onwards

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Jan 30 01:15:12 CET 2014

On Monday 06 Jan 2014 22:40:44 you wrote:

> My aims for the 5.3 release will be to
> * Define the new qpa print device api and implement support for the 3
> core platforms
> * Use this new class in QPrinterInfo and QPrintEngine to replace the
> current print device code, ensuring behaviour is consistent across
> platforms
> * Remove all the ifdef'd api and platform-specific code from QPrinter,
> ensuring api and behaviour is consistent across platforms
> * Remove all platform-specific code from the widgets and dialogs
> * Improve the auto test framework

Hi,

I've just pushed a 33 commit change set for this to Gerrit, my apologies to
the people I've tagged as reviewers :-)  Any one else interested, feel free to
jump in and help.

There's 4 main new classes:
* QPageSize
* QPageMargins
* QPageLayout
* QPlatformPrintDevice, with backends for Windows, Mac and Cups

These are then used in a fairly major rewrite of the platform and PDF print
engines and QPrinter itself.  I've tested these changes using my limited set
of printers and some test painting code, but obviously I can't test for
everything, especially the wide variety of drivers and the dodgy data they may
return.  I'd appreciate if people could check out the last commit in the chain
[1] and see if it works OK with your printers and apps and report any problems
back here.

Cheers!

John.

[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,76918