[Development] Remove OSX 10.6 Build?

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Wed Jan 22 09:02:59 CET 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 2:56 PM, Tor Arne Vestbø <tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com> wrote:

> On 21/01/14 13:36 , Sorvig Morten wrote:
>> I realize that if I’m the only one who want’s to keep supporting 10.6
>> then that’s not going to work. The most important thing to me is to
>> have a somewhat predictable deprecation plan. For example (and at the
>> risk of making this example “the plan”):
>>
>> 5.3 - Remove support from binary packages. 5.4 - 10.6 support is
>> deprecated. 5.5? - Remove support.
>
> 5.3:
>
>  - Remove support from binary packages
>  - No CI
>  = In practice, deprecated, so let's be explicit about it for 5.3
>
> 5.4
>
>  - Bump the dev branch to 5.4
>  - Remove 10.6 code as see fit
>  - Apply 10.6 fixes to 5.3.x (stable) as normal
>
> The message is "Qt 5.3 deprecates 10.6 support (but is available for
> source builds for the lifetime of 5.3), and 5.4 will remove it.”

I’d support this plan, and additionally throw in:

after 5.3 / Qt Creator 3.2:
 - drop support for compiling & running Qt Creator on 10.6

We want to start using C++11 also in Qt Creator, and 10.6 is the only thing preventing that. Since 10.6 is deployment target only for Qt, we don’t necessarily need to keep “its IDE” running there (yes, that’s a Qt-centric way of looking at Qt Creator).

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt