[Development] [Qt-creator] Qt Creator 3.2 dropping support for Mac OS X 10.6

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 23:05:29 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM, Ziller Eike <Eike.Ziller at digia.com> wrote:

> Can you please explain to me though, why you develop on 10.6? You could
> still target 10.6 from newer OS versions, and have your nightly build /
> product build machine on 10.6 to be on the safe side for the actual builds,
> and have a testing machine on 10.6.

The current major version of our application (scientific software),
initially released in 2007, currently supports OSX 10.4+ PPC and Intel
(though obviously only on OSX versions supporting PPC). Our application
supports using 3rd party libraries (eg. for controlling data acquisition
hardware, etc.). In many cases, someone, often a student, wrote one of
these third party libraries that a customer still uses. They often don't
have the original source code or expertise to recompile the code, etc., or
they are using old hardware, and so can't upgrade themselves. OSX 10.6
allows us to target the greatest number of OSX versions for deployment.

You might say the whole situation looks like a house of cards that, with a
stiff breeze, could blow apart. But that's the situation we find ourselves
in.

> If you use 10.6 for development, you also use all the other old, no longer
> updated tools from Apple (gcc, gdb, instruments etc etc). (Can you even
> test retina/HiDPI on 10.6?)

I'm not sure. I don't think any of have hardware to do such a test in the
first place, and since our application uses the Carbon API it doesn't have
any retina-specific support anyway.

> Also note that Qt Creator 3.1 already will no longer support Appleā€™s gdb,
> and support for the very old lldb, that you can still somehow get from the
> paid developer program for 10.6, will be limited.

Right, that's another hurdle for us. It would depend on how limited the
support for 10.6 lldb is.

Adam