[Development] 2D Graphics Roadmap?

Steve Gold steveg2357 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 21:10:16 CET 2014

I’m relatively new to Qt (3-4 months now) and have learned a lot. However, I’ve been experimenting with developing apps with QML/JavaScript and Canvas/Context2D but have received suggestions to look at Scene Graph or Graphics View, both of which seem to require developing C++ classes. Is this correct?

QML appears to be a more “efficient” and “productive” approach from a development point of view but C++ seems to be more “powerful” and “expressive.” The examples for Graphics View that I’ve looked at are the most extensive while the examples for Scene Graph and Canvas seem more simplistic.

As an example, I found Graphics View demos called elasticnodes (moveable nodes/arc) and diagramscene (select/place items onto a palette) but nothing remotely similar for the other graphics technologies. I’ve created several posts in the forums and even sent one email but haven’t received any significant responses.

Before I spend much more time, possibly in the wrong direction, can someone address the future of Canvas, Graphics View and Scene Graph with respect to Qt and Qt Creator? A comparison would be especially useful.

Thanks.

Steve

BTW, I’m also posting this in the Qt forums