[Development] Gerrit dropping CI failure mails?

Blasche Alexander Alexander.Blasche at digia.com
Tue Jul 1 11:46:18 CEST 2014

From: development-bounces+alexander.blasche=digia.com at qt-project.org [development-bounces+alexander.blasche=digia.com at qt-project.org] on behalf of Oswald Buddenhagen >
>i tried to reduce the flood somewhat by denying the bots (including CI)
>the right to mail reviewers, so only the owner now gets the emails.
>on the downside, you now need to pay more attention in case you adopt a
>change from someone else, as you are still a reviewer as far as gerrit
>is concerned ...

Please revert this "feature". Why is this important?

1. ) I don't have to frequently poll all the changes which I review for their failures. I use gerrit via email push and not website poll. Why should I change to back to such less efficient method?

2.) I receive a significant number of patches from devs who don't have approver rights and need some considerable hand-holding. Now they have to constantly ping me when something fails. This is especially bad when it was me who was staging it on their behalf. If you have weired CI errors, license check failures or unintended platform side effects the amount of handholding goes up signficantly.

3.) I monitor progress in my code areas because I review the parts which are relevant. Subsequently I don't just want to monitor their success.

I can understand that some code lines are very buggy and require more attempts (hence more failure "spam"). Then again we should focus on stabilizing them.

Also it is dead simple to filter those failures out of your mailbox. All you have to look for is "FAILURE" and check that "Gerrit-Owner:" is not you. This way you don't force a behavior change on everybody else. Right now I am feeling forced.

Is it just me or how much does everybody else rely on it?

--
Alex