[Development] Resizing screen with application running on eglfs

Will Wagner willw at carallon.com
Mon Jul 7 17:27:27 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have an application running on embedded hardware that need to be able
to change the resolution of the screen whilst the application is running
this successfully working with Qt4 (via a custom patch) and and now
trying to write a similar patch for Qt5.

Has anyone looked at doing this already?

I have written some code to try to do this, the overall aim is to
cleanup all the calls into egl, call eglTerminate and then reinit. I am
attempting to do this without deleting either the QEGLPlatformScreen or
the root QEGLPlatformWindow

The basic call flow I have is:
- call QEglFSWindow::invalidateSurface() on the compositing window
- delete and clear the screens rootContext
- call eglTerminate
- call eglInitialize
- call QEglFSWindow::resetSurface() on the compositing window
- create a new egl context and set as screens rootContext

I have code that runs but doesn't actually render anything to screen. I
have stepped through the code and can't see why it shouldn't be
rendering on screen. I have ensured that the QEGLPlatformBackingStore
and QEGLCompositor both rebuild their textures.

So I guess my questions are:
- Does this approach seem sensible, if I persevere might I actually get
somewhere?
- Is there a better way of doing this (I know the best way would be to
use wayland but the hardware vendor doesn't supply libraries for this)
- Can anyone suggest more things that may need reinitialing in order to
get this working?

Thanks
Will

Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7471 9224
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA