[Development] Support for your evaluation of Qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 11 01:22:20 CEST 2014

On Friday 11 July 2014 10:05:03 Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> Boot To Qt for Embedded Linux (Not talking about android here), is based
> on Yocto (which is open-source), there exists a Qt5 layer (Dedicated
> Yocto sub-project), and I think that Digia should be the official
> maintainer of this project. Digia could work hand and hand with Silicon
> Company like Intel, Texas Instrument, Freescale, Xilinx (these companies
> maintain their own SoC specific Yocto layers). Everyone would win if the
> Qt5 Layer was in a good shape and tested on platform based on the
> above-mentioned SoC's manufacturers.
> Today, these SoC manufacturers provide SDKs (Linux kernel + cross
> toolchain + demo image) and few provide a SDK that contains Qt5. I think
> it is Digia's role to help spread the Qt technology on embedded Linux.

Participating in Yocto by maintaining the Qt5 layer and working on Boot to Qt
are orthogonal to each other.

Digia could do both if it wanted to.

Or someone else could do the maintaining of the Qt 5 layer in Yocto. I don't
see the problem with that either: the Qt Project has a lot of people from
different companies collaborating together. We don't depend on Digia doing
everything.

Besides, IIRC the Boot to Qt project was trying to use the Android base layer
because that's the best BSP that most silicon vendors provide. Notably, the
vendors not participating in Yocto.