[Development] Cake and eating it too for qDebug printing to system log - https://codereview.qt-project.org/89357

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 11 07:56:17 CEST 2014

On Friday 11 July 2014 07:45:23 Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> It might be even worse if systemd-shim provides that directory. Is it worth
> to  try sd_journal_open() and see if it fails? Or check some other way if
> systemd actually launched the application?

No and no.

sd_journal_open might fail because the application can't open the log file, but
logging to the journal is the intention. We're asking that distros not enable
logging there if the user can't open the journal, but some embedded devices
may want exactly that. So this option is out.

Checking if the application was launched by systemd is also not an option IMHO
because it would mean subprocesses wouldn't use journald, but instead go to
stderr, which in turn makes that output be attributed to the parent process.