[Development] Cake and eating it too for qDebug printing to system log - https://codereview.qt-project.org/89357

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 11 07:51:04 CEST 2014

On Thursday 10 July 2014 23:53:20 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2014 10:07:56 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Creator must be able to handle reading from the system log before logging
> > to the system is enabled for that system. On Linux, the code is already
> > there, so we have to tell distributions *not* to enable journald yet.
>
> AFAIU from this thread, journald support should not be enabled except
> "regular users can read the output". Now what I'm missing here is: if Qt is
> built with journald support, can it be still be used if journald is *not*
> present?
>
> Yes, I happen to be maintaining Qt for a distro in which users can still
> choose the init system.

Don't enable journald if your system doesn't use journald.

As for having journald optionally in the distro, if we can detect at runtime
and fallback if it's not running, we should implement it.

If we can't detect, then don't enable the feature in your distro unless you're
sure that journald will be running (excepted misconfiguration, of course).