[Development] Enginio build artifacts and naming conventions

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Wed Jun 4 13:48:30 CEST 2014

On Wednesday, June 04, 2014 11:12:11 you wrote:

> IMO it would be better to have Qt5 in the lib name as an indication that
> this is part of Qt 5.

I agree. That's what I wrote in response to Thiago above.

The '5' makes sense because it is 'part of Qt5'. It is part of the
distribution.

So far, no one has expressed disagreement with that.

>> Because Enginio uses a disparate scheme, that means that
>> this situation can be 'fixed'
> Yes it can.

Is that something you favor?

> But I’d like to discuss what we want to do with add-ons that
> are part of the Qt 5 delivery, but might want to follow their own
> versioning schemes.

Yes, I agree. That's a discussion that was missing and led to the current
names for Enginio.

The outcome needs to be recorded in whatever place people look for such things
when they think of breaking from convention.

 http://qt-project.org/wiki/Creating-a-new-module-or-tool-for-Qt

does not say anything about permitting use of a different version scheme, so
the only guideline available for anyone creating a new module is to follow
convention.

Whatever outcome is chosen regarding this stuff should probably be recorded in
that page.

> We will have these cases also in the future. Something
> for next week?

Perhaps. I'm generally not fond of 'remember that thing I wrote in my email
which you can't read because you are not looking at a computer screen right
now' discussions, but maybe some good can come of it.

So far, no one has suggested that they think these names (the use of Qt5 in
library names and Qt in include directories) should be a free-for-all, so that
seems to be agreed, which means that it *looks* like the choices for Enginio
were a 'mistake'.

So, I think all that is needed is to decide whether it is a mistake which
should be fixed, and if so, should it be fixed as I suggested with a new major
version of Enginio.

Can that be done on the mailing list? Discussing it next week means trying to
fit it in when everyone is busy and would prefer to be discussing something
else.

Thanks,

--
Join us at Qt Developer Days 2014 in Berlin! - https://devdays.kdab.com