[Development] Enginio build artifacts and naming conventions

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 18:22:53 CEST 2014

On 4 June 2014 19:48, Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 04, 2014 11:12:11 you wrote:
>> But I’d like to discuss what we want to do with add-ons that
>> are part of the Qt 5 delivery, but might want to follow their own
>> versioning schemes.
>
> Yes, I agree. That's a discussion that was missing and led to the current
> names for Enginio.
>
> The outcome needs to be recorded in whatever place people look for such things
> when they think of breaking from convention.
>
>  http://qt-project.org/wiki/Creating-a-new-module-or-tool-for-Qt
>
> does not say anything about permitting use of a different version scheme, so
> the only guideline available for anyone creating a new module is to follow
> convention.
>
> Whatever outcome is chosen regarding this stuff should probably be recorded in
> that page.

Hi all,

I've recently been working on an update for
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_5_Structure. The diagram doesn't show
the DLL/SO/DYLIB names, but I hope this will be helpful for
solidifying conventions for Qt 5 as a whole.

Apart from the Enginio, there are other oddities in our names/numbers:

- The 2 ActiveQt modules are named like classes ("QAxServer", "QAxContainer")
- We have a QML module called "Qt.WebSockets 1.0". I'd expected it to
be "QtWebSockets 1.0", without the dot like all other modules (except
Qt.labs), as documented [1].
- A newcomer might come to the conclusion that "QtQuick.Controls 1.1"
goes with "QtQuick 1.1".

Please let me know if any details are wrong. For those who're
interested, the source code (QML) for the diagram is at
https://github.com/JKSH/Qt5StructureDiagram.

Regards,
Sze-Howe

[1] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtwebsockets-qml-types.html