[Development] QtCS2014 - Expiring bug reports

Robert Löhning robert.loehning at digia.com
Tue Jun 17 13:51:37 CEST 2014

Am 15.06.2014 02:40, schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> We had a session on expiring bug reports again.
>
> Here are my notes:
>
> * Bug database is cluttered with old stuff
> * Only triagers and devs can re-open bugs
> ** Normal people can only clone bugs
>
> * Process:
> ** For *Unassigned* bugs that are 1 year old or more, post a nice comment
> saying we're sorry we didn't get to it and ask for re-confirmation
> ** Move the bug to Need More Info state
> ** Send a list of bugs that changed state sorted by priority (especially P0-
> P2)
> ** Every month, expire Need More Info bugs that are 3 months old
> ** For the first time, we'll start with longer periods, then shorten to the
> numbers above
>
> * Assignment process:
> ** Assignee is the person who is going to do the work, conceivably in the near
> future
> ** If you're not going to do work, unassign, *but keep watching*
> ** All bugs need to have at least one watcher
> ** All components must have a default assignee, who triages
>
> * This applies to Qt only, not Creator
>
> * This applies only to Bugs, not Tasks or Suggestions
>
> Link:
> http://qt-project.org/groups/qt-contributors-summit-2014/wiki/Expiring_Bugs

Hi Thiago, hi list,

we mostly already agreed on this at QtCS so I'd just like to stress one
point: "old" should not mean the time passed since creating the bug
report. There are bugs which have been listed for a long time but are
still actively discussed. "Old" in this context should mean the time
since the last comment, status change asf. So the nice comment would
come after 1 year of silence and the report would be closed after nobody
replied to that comment for three months.

I assume you meant that anyway?

Best regards,
Robert

--
   Robert Löhning, Software Engineer - Digia, Qt
   Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,