[Development] [HEADS UP] new branching scheme: 5.3 branches created, stable deprecated

Kurt Pattyn pattyn.kurt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 08:10:26 CEST 2014

> On 06 Jun 2014, at 12:23, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 11:38:34AM +0200, Kurt Pattyn wrote:
>> Just for clarity:
>> * Is the release branch gone for developers?
> it's gone for everyone. it has been deleted.
> the next release branch will be 5.3.1, and you will push for it if you
> have critical changes for that release. just as before.
>
>> * And is there only one dev branch? Suppose 5.4 is in the make and meanwhile a 5.3.x patch release is being worked upon,
>> where will the dev branch end up? Or should we just push our patches to the 5.3.x in that case?
> uhm ... huh?
>
> i'm amazed by what twisted ideas people come up, given that we are
> switching to a branching model which almost every other project on the
> planet uses, including qt creator ...
Well, a picture says more than a thousand words. A simple drawing with a Qt 5.x and Qt 5.x+1 branch and a 'future' Qt 6.x branch, together with stable and dev branches would clarify a lot. Suppose we want to work on a maintenance release of 5.x while 6.x is in the field: how will the branches look like?