[Development] Proposal: All Qt modules must use the same version number

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Mon Jun 30 09:39:24 CEST 2014

On Friday, June 27, 2014 22:57:09 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> On 27 June 2014 22:10, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > Sounds like a good compromise to me.
> >
> > If a module wants to release out-of-schedule, it will need to use an extra
> > version number, like 5.4.0.1.
>
> The problem with such scheme is that it doesn't make it obvious that
> there might be a huge difference between the 5.4.0 and 5.4.0.1
> releases.

People who use Qt don't upgrade as frequently as Qt releases are made. Anyone
who has a need for a feature that didn't exist a month ago in the bleeding
edge (when the last release was made) already knows what is in the out of band
release. They are most likely the one who asked for it.

Having a huge difference between 5.4.0 and 5.4.0.1 doesn't seem wise to me.

Thanks,

--
Join us at Qt Developer Days 2014 in Berlin! - https://devdays.kdab.com

Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer