[Development] Proposal: All Qt modules must use the same version number

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jun 30 17:56:31 CEST 2014

Em seg 30 jun 2014, às 09:36:39, Stephen Kelly escreveu:
> > If a module wants to release out-of-schedule, it will need to use an extra
> > version number, like 5.4.0.1.
>
> And 5.4.1.1 and 5.4.2.1 etc.

Why?

Let's take an example applying right now: suppose module X is using the Qt
private API. As such, it always releases alongside the Qt main releases. Its
current version is, therefore, 5.3.1.

Suppose they have a bugfix they want to release in the next two weeks or so.
That will be 5.3.1.1.

Then we'll have the main Qt 5.3.2. Since this module is using the Qt private
API, it *must* release again, so its version will be 5.3.2. If they fail to
release, we conclude that 5.3.1.1 does *not* work with 5.3.2, since it uses
the private API and failed to update. Remember: private API can change at any
time and break anywhere.