[Development] Branches and time based releases

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Thu Mar 6 08:46:19 CET 2014

On 27/02/14 11:28, "Oswald Buddenhagen" <oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com>
wrote:

>> > so to come back to the starting point: i think we should continue to
>> > target the release branch directly. the burden for the developers
>>isn't
>> > very big (actually, one can even argue that the burden being there is
>> > good thing ... it discourages people from pushing for release), and it
>> > makes the discussion about merging back irrelevant (because then it is
>> > both harmless and required).
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>excellent.
>
>to sum up: we agree with lars' proposal, except on this point. lars,
>feel like changing your mind?

Ok, let’s try it and see what happens. We can always adjust as we go
forward.

Most other projects do however cherry-pick into their releases (that’s
also what linux distributions do when they add patches to their packages).
I still feel that this would make releasing easier, and I’m not sure the
few duplicated commit would be a real issue in practice. Finding out
whether something is part of a certain release could e.g. just as well be
done on the gerrit tag instead of the git sha1.

>the next question would be how we proceed with implementing the change.
>i guess branching off 5.3 from stable and merging stable for the time
>being would be the best approach. retroactively creating the other
>branches (including dismantling release) is less important.
>the question is how quickly QA can set up the CI to match the new
>requirements (and ensure that future branching won't be a major PITA).
>we obviously shouldn't endanger the 5.3 release cycle, but *some*
>release is always in preparation, so just holding off doesn't buy us
>anything.

I think we’re through the merge hazzle with stable now, so I’d keep that
branch until 5.3.0. Once we have 5.3.0 out, let’s aim for renaming stable
to 5.3 and move over to that. We should probably also retroactively create
the 5.0 - 5.2 branches so we have something consistent.

Cheers,
Lars