[Development] [Interest] WinRT QtCreator - QtQuick Application doesn't work

Knight Andrew Andrew.Knight at digia.com
Fri Mar 7 12:28:01 CET 2014

Hi,

Good to hear something works out of the box!

> What am I doing wrong??

First of all, this sounds like a bit like an interest list question, but since you're trying out something new and experimental, I'll assume that you want to help us squash bugs and develop it further.

There are a lot of reasons things could go wrong. Unfortunately, winrtrunner gives very little information about the running process, because it doesn't relay the output of the application. That's something we're working on. Of course, we also want to get debugging working as well, but that's a long way off. If you're serious about debugging your apps, you will need to use Visual Studio for now. You can do this by running the following:
<path_to_qt>\bin\qmake.exe -tp vc CONFIG+=windeployqt <path_to_project>
That will create a vcxproj you can open up in VS.

The next thing you may have missed is that in order to use OpenGL (including Qt Quick 2) on Windows Phone, you need to be running a special tool called qtd3dservice (http://qt-project.org/wiki/qtd3dservice). Since Windows Phone doesn't have a runtime shader compiler, you can use the service to intercept, compile, and cache the shader blobs which are requested by OpenGL. If you build it from git sources today, it's all automatic (you can ignore the stuff about registering your application; that part will soon go away). You simply see a delay each time a shader is getting compiled; after that, the cached blob is used and the delay no longer occurs.

Hopefully that gives a start to solving the issue. I look forward to your feedback with the plugin and the WinRT port in general.

Cheers,
Andrew