[Development] FTP in Qt5

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas at hanssen.name
Sat Mar 8 18:18:17 CET 2014

On 08 Mar 2014, at 18:11, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> Em sáb 08 mar 2014, às 08:31:19, Tom Isaacson escreveu:
>>> There are no plans. FTP is really low-priority these days.
>> Well we're still using it. Plus I said resume functionality for HTTP and FTP
>> - I still think resume is an important part of any downloader so you don't
>> end up having to download the same data. Is there no interest in this?
> Interest, yes. But it's a low-priority because QFtp can't resume. You can't
> send a command that might fail because QFtp will abort the connection.
> In order to support resuming file transfers, supporting IPv6, not to mention
> directory listing, we'd need to rewrite the backend from scratch. That's the
> low priority. Don't expect it to happen, at all.

When you say “we”, do you mean the Digia or the Intel Qt developers, or the community?

If someone, including the requesting party themselves, does such work, I’m sure there are reviewers / approvers ready to do the reviewing.

Part of the good thing of the contribution model is that effort follows the priority of the contributor. I don’t think it’s fair to use the term “we don’t think it’s important” anymore.

Andreas