[Development] Harmonizing the Qt 5.x Documentation

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:35:17 CET 2014

Hi Jerome,

On 12 March 2014 17:37, Pasion Jerome <Jerome.Pasion at digia.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Some comments:
>
> 0) We're trying to promote the latest documentation, which contains the latest fixes. 5.3 documentation is by-and-large much better than the 5.0 or 5.1 documentation. Whichever minor version of Qt 5 you use is entirely up to you.

+1

> 1) The 5.0 and 5.1 documentation are already in the archives:
> http://doc.qt.digia.com/qt-5.0/qtdoc/index.html
> http://doc.qt.digia.com/qt-5.1/qtdoc/index.html
> The links to them will be published soon (around the time the redirects will be in place) here: http://doc.qt.digia.com/archives/index.html

Will these be indexed by search engines?

Side note: I typed this into Google: "site:doc.qt.digia.com QObject"...

...and the first result returned is entitled "QObject Class | QtCore
5.2 | Documentation | Qt Project", but the Google link is
http://doc.qt.digia.com/4.7/qobject.html

You'll likely find the Google Webmaster Tools useful for cleaning up
Google's cache: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

> 2) I've been looking into the Google search in Qt Project and applied filters that are more representative of our site structure. As far as I can tell, it is possible to add two domains in the search results (archive and Qt Project). It has gotten better, but this harmonization should help the latest documentation gain more visibility. The filters are inclusive rather than exclusive, though.

I created a Chrome extension to easily filter my search results:
http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/36199

For earlier versions, the only filtering I needed was something like
"site:qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/"

For Qt 5.2, I needed to do this: "site:qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/
-site:qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/ -site:qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/"

What is the current filtering scheme built into the website?

> 3)The API _should_ be documented with the proper markup as others have already pointed out. Admittedly, the markups are not applied consistently enough, but that discussion is for another day...
>
> We do have writing guidelines: http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtWritingGuidelines
>
> 4)I can't commit or promise anything with regards to the site in the near or not-so-near future because we are gathering ideas at the moment: http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/38227/ Please have a look and post your comments there.

Regards,
Sze-Howe