[Development] OpenGL es2, desktop, kms, linux and arches

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 01:56:14 CET 2014

As some of you may know, I'm maintaining Qt5 in Debian. I'm facing some doubts
that I think you will help me to clear :)

When we started packaging 5.0 we noticed that qtbase only built with -opengl
es2 in arm* [0]. Also the libqeglfs.so, libqminimalegl.so and libqkms.so
plugins where only built there.

Since 5.2.1 the rest of the arches, which are configured with -opengl desktop,
started building the plugins too. I don't know what caused this to happen, but
it will surely not hurt at all :)

The problem came when I started porting some Qt4 apps to Qt5, like I did for
QAntenna. Everything built OK except on arm*. Judging from the logs [1][2] it
would seem that -opengl desktop is needed to get it to compile.

So I tried building qtbase with -opengl desktop in arm*, but by doing so I
loose the plugins metioned above.

The questions are then:

- what could be the reasons I'm getting the egl plugins in almost all archs
but not on arm* when passing -opengl desktop?

- Is there any other way to get that app to build by using just -opengl es2?

Of course, any other pointers would be much appreciated.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

[0] In current release arch Debian speaking, that would be armel (supporting
stuff from armv4 onwards) and armhf (arm with hard floating point).

[1]
<https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=qantenna&arch=armel&ver=0.3.0-1&stamp=1394341348>

[2]
<https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=qantenna&arch=armhf&ver=0.3.0-1&stamp=1394341126>